10. Becket’s Chapel
After the Abbey, Becket’s Chapel is the town’s oldest surviving building.
The grade 1 listed building was founded as a chantry in 1174 by William D'Albini, the grandson of the William D’Albini who founded the Abbey. During the Middle Ages it served as a chapel for the many town guilds. After the chantries were suppressed by Edward VI in 1547 it became a grammar school. The school moved out for a period during the 1800s, before finally vacating it at the beginning of the twentieth century.
Becket's Chapel is now owned byHistoric Norfolk.
Wymondham Arts leased the building from 2008 upto 2023, using it as a gallery, and for small musical and spoken word events.The Arts Centre (Now known as Becket's Chapel) has regularly changing exhibitions from mid March to the end of November and is open on weekdays from 10 to 5 and on Sunday from noon to 5, during this period.
The building is also available to the Local community for other uses and will be available for hire for meetings, receptions and other activities contact Historic Norfolk for more info.
Photographs courtesy of Wymondham Photographic Society.